[linux-lvm] Problem with vgreduce on LVM1

Peter Smith peter.smith at utsouthwestern.edu
Wed Aug 30 01:13:11 UTC 2006

To make matters worse, on a test system I set up a similar group of LVs.
Then I removed the first LV and deactivated the VG. At that point I
manually editted the disk structure to change the lv_cur on the PV from
0 to something greater than 0 (5 in this case.) Since that's what I
think might be in error on my production VG. I expected it to produce
the same error when trying to reduce the VG by this PV. It didn't. I'm
stumped now.

Peter

Peter Smith wrote:

> [...]
> thinks it still has LVs on it, which is not true. The "Cur LV 4" is
> not true. Now I have to figure out why the VG seems to think that this
> PV still has 4 LVs on it..
>
> Peter
>
> Peter Smith wrote:
>
>> I'm currently looking at the source code. Meanwhile, if anyone is
>> inclined to look, I've captured the output of a "vgreduce data
>> /dev/emcpowera -d" [1]...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Peter
>>
>> [1] http://swlxrpx1.swmed.edu/for-linux-lvm-list-001
>>

>> Peter Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Well, that is interesting. When I do a "pvdata", it does show an
>>> extent in use, one for each of the other LVs, but that is true for
>>> all the PVs for some reason. Any ideas on how to stop that? I've
>>> already tried a "pvmove" and it says the disk is empty.
>>>
>>> [root at linux archive]# pvdata /dev/emcpowera
>>> --- Physical volume ---
>>> PV Name /dev/emcpowera
>>> VG Name data
>>> PV Size 785.10 GB [1646481408 secs] / NOT usable 1 GB [LVM: 127 KB]
>>> PV# 1
>>> PV Status available
>>> Allocatable NO
>>> Cur LV 4
>>> PE Size (KByte) 1048576
>>> Total PE 784
>>> Free PE 784
>>> Allocated PE 0
>>> PV UUID JpYFFb-NUqC-trBf-oFm7-tbdF-65If-GZ56fw
>>>
>>> --- Volume group ---
>>> VG Name
>>> VG Access read/write
>>> VG Status NOT available/resizable
>>> VG # 0
>>> MAX LV 256
>>> Cur LV 5
>>> Open LV 0
>>> MAX LV Size 2 TB
>>> Max PV 256
>>> Cur PV 8
>>> Act PV 1
>>> VG Size 12.21 TB
>>> PE Size 1 GB
>>> Total PE 12507
>>> Alloc PE / Size 9078 / 886 GB
>>> Free PE / Size 3429 / 3.35 TB
>>> VG UUID 5Xw9D6-qqfu-0FTg-P9pD-40NH-wRgR-wN03ip
>>>
>>> --- List of logical volumes ---
>>>
>>> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 0 is empty
>>> pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/data/data2" at offset 1
>>> pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/data/data3" at offset 2
>>> pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/data/data4" at offset 3
>>> pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/data/data5" at offset 4
>>> pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/data/data6" at offset 5
>>> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 6 is empty
>>> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 7 is empty
>>> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 8 is empty
>>> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 9 is empty
>>> <SNIP>
>>> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 254 is empty
>>> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 255 is empty
>>> --- List of physical volume UUIDs ---
>>>
>>> 001: JpYFFb-NUqC-trBf-oFm7-tbdF-65If-GZ56fw
>>> 002: ABNwWZ-h4la-KTcv-VukV-T8vV-PIEP-mm38cy
>>> 003: oyjw8S-B1gu-snoN-k54q-bCEy-daqn-BYdDmK
>>> 004: URW9Kt-ZbOn-Ov3h-ZiT5-i7aC-8Lpq-c0fp4l
>>> 005: y16lho-UgMJ-1lfJ-GNTi-VXWH-Pot1-iIsOc0
>>> 006: WEC9g3-fTKD-k8pV-Nnxq-Kwn3-EkNd-qV3lUE
>>> 007: TCxHIb-uvjC-6xap-bLaM-lVJU-N82x-XWd10g