[linux-lvm] Ran vgreduce --missing to remove broken disk, am I screwed?

Tom+Dale tdmyth at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 03:09:40 UTC 2006

Tom+Dale <tdmyth at yahoo.com> wrote:   Thomas Novin <thnov at xyz.pp.se> wrote:   > I had a disk that stopped working. After booting I could see with
> pvdisplay
> that the disk was missing. After reading everything I could find via
> google
> I thought that you were supposed to run 'vgreduce --remove-missing
> volgrp0'
> to remove the missing disk from the group.
>
> After this the volume group looks OK but the entire logical volume got
> removed! Am I screwed now or is there any way to salvage the data which is
> on the remaining three disks?

Please someone answer this, is there any solution to this problem? To
clarify:

- Disk failure
- Ran 'vgreduce --remove-missing volgrp0' (probably not such a good idea)
- /dev/volgrp0/ emtpy. 'lvdisplay' doesn't show anything.

So, can I somehow restore my logical volume? The three other physical
disks/partitions are intact.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas Novin  I wish I could help you...
The answer to this question is VERY important to me, too.  I sent out a question to this mailing list on Saturday that described my nearly identical problem (although I included lots of details).  Nobody responded at all.  Perhaps I overwhelmed everyone with TMI???

  If there is no one here who can answer these questions, where can we go for help?

  Could someone please suggest a forum or reference document that can help Mr. Novin and me?  I have spent 3 weeks searching for help on the 'net; and I have read the LVM HowTo several times.  This mailing list was my best hope for assistance.

  Thanks again in advance for any help you might be able to provide, folks!

  -Tom-

  Oops!  I see that Peter Smith had responded to my message; also my case was not related to "vgreduce."  Sorry.

  -Tom-