[linux-lvm] EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock

Evan Cofsky evan at theunixman.com
Mon Dec 11 18:09:00 UTC 2006

On 12/11 17:33, Jean Chiappini wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a server production with centos 4 with kernel 2.6.9-42 and
> lvm2-2.02.06 installed. All was working find, but today the server
> crashed. When I would reboot my server, I saw in the log that the lvm
> partiton wouldn't mount. This is the error -> kernel: EXT3-fs: unable to
> read superblock.

I had this problem recently with a few systems.  Try booting to
single-user mode, and then do the following command:

tune2fs -j DEVICE-FILE-WITH-PROBLEM

This will create a new journal on the filesystem.  I haven't tracked
down why the journal disappears yet, but it seems to, and then the
system (of course) won't mount it as ext3.

--
Evan Cofsky, The Architect <evan at theunixman.com>
http://www.theunixman.com/