Re: [linux-lvm] Hot backup for boot/root disk

Toby Bluhm wrote:

Some people like using LVM for system/OS disks - I don't. So I would
ditch the LVM and use software raid1. I don't understand why you
wouldn't want the disks to be constantly in sync. What if they're out of
sync when a disk dies? However, you could break and rebuild the mirror
at your whim when using sw raid.

With the scheme where the main data (user dir's and databases) are on the data disks, the OS shouldn't change very often. The more likely scenario is that something really dumb has been perpetrated on the OS disk, and you'd like to be able to recover from that. With continuous syncing, what you have is two volumes messed up in the same way.

With the data volume, I'd actually have mirror or at least RAID it, and have snapshots. At least, that the plan.