[linux-lvm] Expanding volume groups to fill a growing disk

I'm new to LVM, so maybe I'm missing something basic, but it seems like LVM2 makes it difficult to expand a VG. Or rather, it's easy if you want to just add another disk to the group, but I have a hardware RAID card that supports online expansion, and I'd like to use it.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to tell LVM "I know I partioned you on /dev/sda2 to be 500GB; now that I've expanded the disk with the raid card, I want to expand that volume group to fill the new space."

Do I have to use fdisk to make a new partition, and then use pvcreate followed by vgextend? That sounds like it would work, but it seems like there should be a cleaner way.