[linux-lvm] Expanding volume groups to fill a growing disk

Ben bench at silentmedia.com
Thu Feb 2 23:06:31 UTC 2006

I'm new to LVM, so maybe I'm missing something basic, but it seems like LVM2
makes it difficult to expand a VG. Or rather, it's easy if you want to just add
another disk to the group, but I have a hardware RAID card that supports online
expansion, and I'd like to use it.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to tell LVM "I know I partioned you on
/dev/sda2 to be 500GB; now that I've expanded the disk with the raid card, I
want to expand that volume group to fill the new space."

Do I have to use fdisk to make a new partition, and then use pvcreate followed
by vgextend? That sounds like it would work, but it seems like there should be a
cleaner way.