[linux-lvm] Using LVM to snapshot Oracle

Mitchell Christensen mchristensen at packetmotion.com
Mon Feb 20 19:28:56 UTC 2006

Hey,

I was wondering about the feasibility of using the LVM snapshot facility
to backup/restore Oracle.  Does this make sense?

A few issues that I am concerned about are,

*	Would it be any better/faster/cheaper than RMAN (the standard
Oracle backup facility)?
*	Would hot-backups be possible, or would the database need to be
in a quiescent state?
*	Is anyone else out there doing this (or anything similar)?
*	Is it reasonable to expect that I could simply take a snapshot
of all Oracle related files and be able to restore a viable Oracle
instance from that snapshot?

Any feedback and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Mitch