[linux-lvm] Using LVM to snapshot Oracle

Hey,

I was wondering about the feasibility of using the LVM snapshot facility to backup/restore Oracle.  Does this make sense?

A few issues that I am concerned about are,

  • Would it be any better/faster/cheaper than RMAN (the standard Oracle backup facility)?
  • Would hot-backups be possible, or would the database need to be in a quiescent state?
  • Is anyone else out there doing this (or anything similar)?
  • Is it reasonable to expect that I could simply take a snapshot of all Oracle related files and be able to restore a viable Oracle instance from that snapshot?

Any feedback and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Mitch