Re: [linux-lvm] Volume Groups and Clusters

On Feb 22, 2006, at 3:49 AM, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 04:22:10PM -0500, Joshua ChaitinPollak wrote:
Hello, I found this mention of sharing Volume Groups across Clusters
on the LVM howto:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/sharinglvm1.html

Am I right in assuming that this means you can have a single volume
group active on multiple nodes in a cluster, provided that you doing
mount the same logical volume on more than one node at a time?

Yes, you assume right *but* you need a cluster filesystem (eg, GFS)
as well to be able to mount shared logical volumes on multiple nodes
at once or you mess up the data.

Right, but I don't need GFS if I'm only going to mount the file system on one machine at a time, right?

--
Joshua ChaitinPollak
Software Engineer