[linux-lvm] file descriptor 3 left open

Kapadia, Nayan U. nkapadia at oxhp.com
Wed Jan 25 14:11:22 UTC 2006

Uncompressing Linux booting the kernel
Redhat Nash 4.1.18 starting
File descriptor 3 left open
Reading physical volumes This may take awhile
/dev/hda open failed: No media found
--------------------------------- this is the CDROM
No Volume groups found
File descriptor 3 left open
Reading physical volumes This may take awhile
/dev/hda open failed: No media found
No Volume groups found
File descriptor 3 left open
Reading physical volumes This may take awhile
/dev/hda open failed: No media found
No Volume groups found
mount error 6 mounting ext3 :  22
umount /initrd/dev  failed :2
kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill init.

Thank you, you lead me to the reason why it was failing.  I had to run
mkinitrd --with=cciss to load the scsi adapter.

The file descriptor left open messages are just indications of files
being left in open state?

Thanks again!

Nayan