[linux-lvm] Lost all logical volumes in two volume groups?

Dan Elder isbeen at izmedia.com
Wed Jan 18 18:49:04 UTC 2006

I received this info when I posted a similar question, perhaps this will be
useful.
tell you what i found after days of resarch and as my last resort facing the
fact to lose everything on a single 750gb array ;)

preface: i had only one(!) lv spanning the whole 750gb vg. i think this is
pretty important for the following procedure - especially if the exact
parameters are not known (in my case because the whole system was set up
trough a 3rd party linux-based NAS)

1) i simply recreated that one lv with lvcreate (my luck it was initially
set up using all standards and max. possible size)

2) now there was no filsystem (as i supposed). but a filesystemrepair
(xfs_repair in my case) did the magic. it found the 2nd superblock intact
and after a short while everything was in place again.

3) feels like winning the lottery.

4) i'm a true linux-novice and to me that procedure felt extreme risky, but
i found nothing, absolutely nothing else that comes any near just a little
help in such a case; no tools, no how-tos, nothing. so i tried it, at last
considering this isn't totally out of logic.

bye & greetings from vienna,
gerald gstaltner