[linux-lvm] question about pvresize not seeing newly added disk space

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Tue Jul 11 13:41:16 UTC 2006

I am doing some work with lvm2 on our system with a 3ware 9550SX-12 card ...

   LVM version:     2.02.01 (2005-11-23)
   Library version: 1.02.02 (2006-01-04)
   Driver version:  4.5.0

In particular, I wanted to experiment with the ability to add disks to
an existing RAID-5 lvm volume on the 3ware side, and then using
"pvresize" to make the additional space available on the system.

After adding a 200 GB disk to the RAID-5 unit on the 3ware side (14
hours!!!), I ran "pvresize" on the system, but it doesn't see the new
disk space.  I'm pretty sure that if I reboot, it will see it, but this
somewhat defeats the purpose because I'm trying to figure out how to add
space to a live system without downtime.  Any suggestions on what to do
to make pvresize see the new space?
In addition, it is interesting to note that using the -v option of
pvresize, it seems like LVM doesn't know about the additional disk space:

lead 34 # pvresize -v /dev/sdb
     Using physical volume(s) on command line
     Archiving volume group "scratch" metadata (seqno 8).
     No change to size of physical volume /dev/sdb.
     Resizing volume "/dev/sdb" to 781205120 sectors.
     Updating physical volume "/dev/sdb"
     Creating volume group backup "/etc/lvm/backup/scratch" (seqno 9).
   Physical volume "/dev/sdb" changed
   1 physical volume(s) resized / 0 physical volume(s) not resized

(In fact, the information "No change to size of physical volume"
followed by "Physical volume "/dev/sdb" changed seems to me to be strange.)

Yet, running the "pvs" command, the lvm does indeed see the new storage:
   PV         VG      Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
   /dev/sdb   scratch lvm2 a-   372.50G 172.50G

(my apologies if this is a repeat message -- I think I sent it the first
time before the subscribe request was processed...)

Jason.