[linux-lvm] lvm2 volumes not available on boot

Dieter Stüken stueken at conterra.de
Thu Jul 13 17:25:26 UTC 2006

Jason Keltz wrote:
> Before the vgscan is run, here are the loaded modules:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> dm_mirror              28577  0
> dm_mod                 59717  1 dm_mirror
> joydev                 13953  0
> button                 10449  0
> battery                12741  0
> ac                      8773  0
> uhci_hcd               32729  0
> ehci_hcd               31813  0
> 3w_9xxx                35909  0
> e1000                  99757  0
> floppy                 57937  0
> ext3                  118729  1
> jbd                    60761  1 ext3
> ata_piix               13381  1
> libata                 57885  1 ata_piix
> sd_mod                 20417  2
> scsi_mod              116941  3 3w_9xxx,libata,sd_mod
>
> ... so "dm_mod" is actually loaded, and as far as I know, that's the
> lvm2 module.

I also have two 3w_9xxx since a few weeks, works great!

If it becomes /dev/sdb, have a look into /sys/block/sdb and
/proc/partitions if it appears correctly. Also, certain devices
may be excluded from scanning via /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.

Does hotplug create /dev/sdb dynamically and in time during boot?

In the beginning I got problems, as the 3ware controller
and my SATA backplane both may be configured to delay the
disk spinup. This caused some timeout trouble.

Dieter.