[linux-lvm] Performance impact of LVM

Sander Smeenk ssm+lvm at freshdot.net
Mon Jul 31 07:58:46 UTC 2006

Quoting Mark H. Wood (mwood at IUPUI.Edu):

> Some uses of LVM *could* increase I/O wait time.  It's easy to paste new
> extents onto existing volumes, and the new extent probably won't be
> contiguous with the old one.  So you *could* see longer average seek
> delays due to additional arm travel distance between extents.  It's
> strongly dependent on access patterns.

Hmm. Yeah, this setup i'm using was created and thereafter never changed
(yet). So i guess it should all still be contiguous...

Thanks for the info though. I'll see if i can do some tests when i get
my new hardware to play with. But as said before, it's probably not even
measurable. The added latency that is...

Thanks!
Sander.