[linux-lvm] FS labels and LVM2

Dieter Stüken stueken at conterra.de
Thu Jun 1 17:19:04 UTC 2006

Oliver Tennert wrote:
> am I wrong or does mount per FS label not work when the filesystem in
> question is located on a logical volume? We're using a 2.6.11 kernel and a
> SUSE 9.3 distro, so it might be just a question of using the most current
> kernel.
>
> At least, a "mount -a" when a "LABEL=test" entry is in fstab, leads to the
> error:
>
> mount: special device LABEL=test does not exist
>
> But it exists:
>
> localhost:/var/log # xfs_admin -l /dev/mapper/vucf0002vg-fs2
> label = "test"
>
> Any idea?

It does not work any more :-(

mount looks into /dev/partition to find the names of the
devices to scan. Unfortunately the LV names listed here can't
be found under /dev, as they are simply enumerated like "dm-12".

On the other hand: once you have LVM, you don't need no disk
labels any more, as your LVs have expressive names already!

Dieter.