[linux-lvm] Bringing an existing filesystem under LVM2 control

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Fri Jun 2 18:03:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 07:43:35PM +0200, Dieter Stüken wrote:
> If the FS resides on the first partition it usually starts at some offset
> of 63 sectors. So, if you simply erase the partition table and use hda
> for the PV, you may use this space for LVM. Don't know, if this is big
> enough, as I normally see "pe_start = 384".

1 sector is all it needs.  The second sector is safe with ext2/ext3 unless
you placed a bootloader there.  Filesystem tools and utilities shouldn't
interfere.  I'm guessing other filesystems will behave similarly, but I
haven't checked.

> Is there any brief description around about how a PV header is organized,
> or do I have to analyze the LVM source code for this?

Start at the 'Metadata' slide here:

  http://people.redhat.com/agk/talks/LVM2-LinuxTag2006/
  http://people.redhat.com/agk/talks/LVM2-LinuxTag2006/text28.html

Alasdair