[linux-lvm] Where is the PE to LE mapping done?

Dieter Stüken stueken at conterra.de
Thu Jun 8 14:29:12 UTC 2006

조완근 wrote:
> Hello, This is my second e-mail.

Sorry, if my first answer was not helpful to you.
Here is a good introduction into LVM internals
by Alasdair G Kergon:

http://people.redhat.com/agk/talks/LVM2-LinuxTag2006

You should also have a look into the meta data backup under
/etc/lvm/backup/* This describes the content of the data
structures you found in the sources. May be this helps
to understand how a VG is organized.

But even if you are much faster in reading and understanding
C source code (57251 lines) than reading the documentation
(3166 lines), I still think, your problem can be solved
by using the provided LVM-tools.

For example: you may modify/edit the meta data dump with a
text editor and use "vgcfgrestore" to fill up the data structs
you found. (but you can also destroy your LVM this way!).

Dieter.