[linux-lvm] Right way to resize LVM Volume on SAN?

Zac Slade krakrjak at volumehost.net
Fri Jun 9 07:36:16 UTC 2006

On Thursday 08 June 2006 14:56, Luca Berra wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 04:06:10PM +0200, Alen Salamun wrote:
> >Thank you. I read that already. And since it only says:
> >
> >"Expand the PV on /dev/sda1 AFTER enlarging the partition with fdisk"
That should probably be more generalized in the documentation.  Instead it
should say "Expand the PV on /dev/<dev name> AFTER englarging the block
device.  If the block device is a partition then you will need to enlarge the
partition utilizing a tool for managing partitions like fdisk."

If the device in LVM is just a SAN backed LU then you really don't need
partitions on it at all.  This would simplify your setup in the future if you
just exposed the LU to the server and then just simply pvcreate the entire
disk next time.  Then when you increase the size of the LU on the SAN you can
validate its size using blockdev --getsize64 /dev/sda both before and after
the change.  At that point a simple pvresize will pick up the new size and
move forward.

Hope that sheds some light.
--
Zac Slade