[linux-lvm] Rescuing a VG from a busted system

John Diamond jdiamond at fnal.gov
Fri Jun 23 16:18:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm kind of a LVM newbie, so please bear with me on this question.

I had a Fedora Core 3 box die on me last night.  The disk survived, and
it has a VG on it called VolumeGroup00 (default for FC installs, I
believe).  I'm not really interested in reusing the disk, I just want to
get some of my data (2 weeks of coding!) off of it, so I put the disk
into a FC 5 box as hdb and booted up, but it doesn't recognize the
volume on hdb.  I did some research, and the reason for this seems to be
that since the VG on hda is also named VolumeGroup00, it will not
recognize the VolumeGroup00 on hdb.  So my question is, what's my best
approach for getting at the data on hdb?  Is there a way that I can
rename the VG on hdb, or is there an even better approach?

Thanks for your time,

John

--
John Diamond
Fermi National Accelerator Lab
630-840-4988 - jdiamond at fnal.gov

"If it can't be done in Emacs, it's not worth doing"