[linux-lvm] LVM incredible slow with Kernel 2.6.11

Cristian Livadaru drac3 at vwclub.ro
Wed Jun 28 09:24:27 UTC 2006

I have built yesterday a 2.6.11 kernel with Xen.
I wanted to move some old data to my LVM and the speed according to
midnight commander was about 350kb/s ! about 2gig where copied in 4
hours! I then rebooted with the original Debian Kernel 2.4.27-2-386 and
the speed incresead to about 5mb/s that doesn't make me very happy
either but was way better then 350kb!
I have been searching the net all night and didn't come up with a
solution. I have no clue what is wrong here.
What did I do wrong and how can I increase the performance?

The lvm is made out of 2x Seagate 300GB IDE HD not striped.

esplendidos:~# lvm lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/share/sharevg
  VG Name                share
  LV UUID                KdvcJ9-ZLMP-AJYA-soGK-qHfy-UtrX-PpV9Kv
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                558.91 GB