[linux-lvm] lvm and fstab

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Jun 29 14:36:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 04:30:19PM +0200, ThomasC. wrote:
> Cristian Livadaru wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 04:10:31PM +0200, ThomasC. wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I am using RHEL3.
> >>One LV for /opt and another one for /stage.
> >>
> >enter the mount points manualy in fstab or mount the partitions manualy
> >you could do a mount /dev/Volume00/LogVol00 /opt and then you should
> >have what you want.
> >
> >Best Regards, Cristian Livadaru
> Thats what i thought but the weird thing is that i can already access
> /opt so i am not very enthusiastic trying to mount it again....

I agree with your reluctance.

What I would do, being the paranoid person that I am, is create a second
mount point, called /opt-1 or something else that you like, and mount
your LV there, as "mount /dev/Volume00/LogVol00 /opt-1" and compare the
two.  I suspect that you will find that your /opt-1 will be empty, in
which case you can then move all of the files in /opt to /opt-1, unmount
/opt-1, remount it as /opt, fix your /etc/fstab and everything will be
as you expect.

I was about to go on and suggest that you could then add /stage to your
/etc/fstab, but we don't know whether it was actually created.  What
does "lvscan" show?

Brian