[linux-lvm] vgscan --force-all-update-reread-and-take-that-kernel

Tristan Van Berkom tvb at gnome.org
Wed Jun 28 15:12:32 UTC 2006

Hello lvm folks,
     Before I give you the whole shpiel... the issue I am having here
is that vgscan is unable to find an existing volume group after
a repartitioning of the disk using 'parted' (hence the subject line that
implies that vgscan needs an option to slap the kernel a little harder
in some cases).

     I am using lvm to automaticly extend a logical partition
to span the "rest of the harddisk", in the case that there are
some unused gigs on the disk.

I've written a little script (which I'll attach here) that
basicly:
     - Resizes the extended partition
     - Creates a new logical partition in the newly allocated space
       inside the extended partition
     - Creates a new "physical volume" on the new partition
     - Adds the new "physical volume" to the already existing "volume group"
     - Extends the "logical volume" to span the entire "volume group"

The script works fine it you type it all out by hand in the shell and
wait a few secs and repeatedly check vgscan to see if its back up,
when I run the script... I get:

 From when I first issue a vgscan:
=================================
   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
   No volume groups found

 From my next call to pvcreate:
==============================
   Couldn't find device with uuid 'HAkK8E-D3CS-87kk-GtL0-6ZGC-1NKI-x65WQg'.
   Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group massgaol.
   Couldn't find device with uuid 'HAkK8E-D3CS-87kk-GtL0-6ZGC-1NKI-x65WQg'.
   Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group massgaol.
   get_pv_from_vg_by_id: vg_read failed to read VG massgaol
   Physical volume "/dev/hdb7" successfully created

Anyway, I guess at this point y'all know what I'm rambling on about...

please let me know what I'm doing wrong or what I could be doing
better :)

Cheers,
                             -Tristan