[linux-lvm] Incorrect metadata are header checksum

Lee Rocky rocky366 at gmail.com
Thu May 11 11:38:38 UTC 2006

Dear all

I tried to craete pv on my xscale system but failed.
create pv command is successful,
but I got the "Incorrect metadata error when scan pvs.
I'm not sure it's a compilation problem or hard disk problem?

does anyone create pv on arm system before?

best regard and have a nice day
Rocky

output log
-bash-3.00# pvcreate /dev/sda2 -vv
      Setting global/locking_type to 1
      Setting global/locking_dir to /var/lock/lvm
      File-based locking enabled.
      Locking /var/lock/lvm/P_orphans WB
      /dev/sda2: No label detected
      /dev/sda2: size is 12048750 sectors
      Setting metadata/pvmetadatasize to 1024
      metadata/pvmetadatacopies not found in config: defaulting to 1
      /dev/sda2: size is 12048750 sectors
    Set up physical volume for "/dev/sda2" with 12047598 available sectors
      Scanning for labels to wipe from /dev/sda2
    Zeroing start of device /dev/sda2
      Writing physical volume data to disk "/dev/sda2"
      /dev/sda2: Writing label to sector 1
  Physical volume "/dev/sda2" successfully created
      Unlocking /var/lock/lvm/P_orphans

-bash-3.00# pvscan
  No matching physical volumes found

-bash-3.00# pvscan -vv
      Setting global/locking_type to 1
      Setting global/locking_dir to /var/lock/lvm
      File-based locking enabled.
    Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices
    Wiping internal VG cache
    Walking through all physical volumes
      /dev/sda: size is 17942584 sectors
      /dev/sda1: size is 5879727 sectors
      /dev/sda1: No label detected
      /dev/sda2: size is 12048750 sectors
      /dev/sda2: lvm2 label detected
  Incorrect metadata area header checksum
      /dev/sda2: lvm2 label detected
  Incorrect metadata area header checksum
      /dev/sda2: lvm2 label detected
  Incorrect metadata area header checksum
  PV /dev/sda2         lvm2 [5.74 GB]
  Total: 1 [5.74 GB] / in use: 0 [0   ] / in no VG: 1 [5.74 GB]

-bash-3.00# pvscan --version
  LVM version:     2.02.01 (2005-11-23)
  Library version: 1.02.02 (2005-12-02)
  Driver version:  4.4.0