[linux-lvm] problem when creating a volumegroup on an external drive

Joep Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri May 12 14:50:38 UTC 2006

Patrick Caulfield wrote:

>Joep Blom wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>I'm new to the list and new to the use of LVM. I have read the manuals
>>(which mainly are for LVM1) and am using LVM2.
>>I have one question. I just created a new volumegroup on an USB external
>>disk.
>>

>It's fantastically unlikely that a single 'vgcreate VG0' command would create
>two VGs.
>
>What is much more likely is that VolGroup00 already existed and you just
>didn't notice it. That's the default name for a volume group created by a
>Fedora install BTW
>
>patrick

Patrick,
Thanks for the quick reply. However, this is external USB disk (250Gb
and I just added it to the system as a backup disk. FC5 was running and
before I did anything the disk was formatted as a FAT32 disk I then did
a pvcreate. When I checked the disk was empty (as was expected). The
vgcreate did the strange thing, which is a problem as I cant remove this
VolGroup00 as there exists one on the other (2) disks and when I asses
VolGroup00 it rightly goes to the original VolGroup00, which I cannot
delete.
I think the only solution is fdisk and see if it will free the whole
disk. But any other ideas?
Joep