[linux-lvm] booting from an LV

Joep Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Thu May 25 21:42:03 UTC 2006

Dieter Stüken wrote:

> Joep Blom wrote:
>
>> Harik,
>> I couldn't agree more. IMHO it's a bloody shame we still have to work
>> with a misconcept of over 25 years to start any OS (I'm not familiar
>> with the Mac but I presume it's equally oldfashioned).
>> Joep
>

> be careful:
> precisely Apple is a step further than most Linux systems today:
> they already use EFI, the next generation BIOS, see:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface
> EFI even defines an enhanced partitioning concept called GPT.
>
> But I still fail to see, why I have to create any partition on my
> disks if I have LVM instead. It should make partitions obsolete!
> On the other hand I don't see neither Lilo nor Grub will provide
> a solution without any DOS partition table, soon. As I refuse to turn
> back booting from floppy disks, I currently think about booting from
> a cheap USB Stick instead. It may hold my /boot system with an LVM
> aware kernel and may even carry a small rescure system.
> Dieter

Dieter,
I didn't know that of Apple. That's very interesting. I know there are
already for over a year talks about completely different kind of
bootstrap loader+ advanced programming tools such as EFI you mentioned
but until now no motherboards has appeared for Intel/AMD processors with
it.
Your solution of booting from an USB stick is what I intend to do with
my firewall: a stand-alone memory-only system (I'm a little paranoid
with respect to security) running LEAF (the Bering-uclib variant) but
it's an idea for workstations as well as USB sticks become very cheap.
Joep