[linux-lvm] Boot fails after change of motherboard: No volume groups found

Volker Englisch Volker at englisch.us
Wed Oct 11 06:36:12 UTC 2006

I have a problem I'm trying to solve but I haven't found a solution.

I am running FC4 (with AMD64) and was able to boot the machine without
problems until Friday when I had to change my motherboard.
Since then it appears that I'm unable to boot because the system can not
find my LVM.  I see this error message after grub selected the OS:
   Red Hat nash version 4.2.15 starting
      Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while ...
      No volume groups found
      Unable to find volume group "VolGroup00"

and as a result a kernel panic.
I can start the machine by using the installation disk and boot with
'linux rescue' and then I can see my volume and access the data.

I have two SATA hard drives with a /boot partition and the volume group
on the first one and the second HDD has just regular partitions:
   Filesystem                       Size   Used  Avail Use%  Mounted on
   /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol04   15G   7.2G   6.4G  54%  /var
   /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol03   34G    12G    20G  37%  /backup
   /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00   24G   7.9G    15G  35%  /
   /dev/sda1                         99M    29M    65M  31%  /boot
   /dev/sdb3                        138G    18G   113G  14%  /free
   /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02   29G   3.4G    24G  13%  /home
   /dev/sdb2                         46G   1.2G    43G   3%  /home/public
   /dev/sdb1                         46G   706M    43G   2%  /home/mail

Why would the boot process not find my volume group but does when I'm
starting the OS with the rescue disk (or Knoppix)?

--
Thanks

     Volker Englisch

mailto:Volker at Englisch.us    (h)