[linux-lvm] Mirror resync direction

Paul LeoNerd Evans leonerd-lvm at leonerd.org.uk
Thu Oct 26 22:08:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 21:27:02 +0100
Alasdair G Kergon <agk at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 09:17:38PM +0100, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
> > testing (2.02.06-3). I use it to set up a VG containing two
>
> > Is this a bug in the LVM2 tools, or the dm-mirror target, or what? Is it
> > perhaps a limitation of --corelog; in which case, how can I protect
> > against that?
>
> Firstly, this is work in progress, so you should be using newer
> tools.  Secondly, with newer tools you should follow a different
> procedure: use vgreduce --removemissing (carefully) to remove the
> lost device, add the replacement disk to the VG in the normal
> way, then use lvconvert to turn the LV back into a mirror.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I've looked at my copy of vgreduce, and that has the option you named. I
tried that and it did as I suspected, namely converted the mirror back to
a plain linear LV, that I can mount as normal and use. Then running
pvcreate / vgextend / lvconvert --mirror 1, and now that works fine.

Thanks for the help.

> And I should add, dmeventd will do these steps automatically on failure
> if you configure it into the lvm2 and device-mapper packages and apply
> the right kernel patches (they're nearly ready for upstream submission).

Will that be a separate userland program? Presumably it'll appear in a
debian package of the same name at some point.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd at leonerd.org.uk