Re: [linux-lvm] "cloning" from ide to sata drive, can't find root

On 10/30/06, brianmas highstream net <brianmas highstream net> wrote:
I did a straight up mirroring of a drive doing dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda where
the src is an ide drive and target a sata drive and not unexpectedly it can't
find the root device on boot.

Typing out the error message ...

[snip]
Reading all physical volumes this may take a while ...
No volume groups found
Unable to find Volume Group "VolGroup00"
[snip]

I used a rescue disc distro and used dd to extract info subtible for
vgcfgrestore,
after which I did some other finagaling with vgchange and I can mount the volume
and view the data on it, so it's there, vgscan/pvscan and lvscan all show it ...
but as mentioned boot it's just not picked up on boot so it can be mounted as
'/'. I thought I fixed it with the vgcfgrestore (changing /dev/hda2 to
/dev/sda2) but obviously not ... any guidance is appreciated.

thank you,
brian

Ignoring LVM issues, I believe I've done this in the past with
traditional partitions.  IIRC, all I did was add a root=/dev/sdaX
parameter on my grub boot command line, and then use that to boot
single-user mode and edit my /etc/fstab to reference the correct
device.

Not sure how LVM would change that.

FYI: I personally don't use LVM on my boot and root partitions.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group