[linux-lvm] HDD Failure

Nick lists at mogmail.net
Mon Sep 18 18:10:16 UTC 2006

Hello List,

I have a 3x 120GB HDD that are all lumped into one LVM volume. Recently,
one died so I removed it using.

# vgreduce --removemissing Vol1

This worked fine but now I can't mount the volume group:

root at nibiru:~# cat /etc/fstab | grep Vol
/dev/mapper/Vol1-share /share          ext3    defaults        0       2
root at nibiru:~# mount /share
mount: special device /dev/mapper/Vol1-share does not exist
root at nibiru:~#

I've no idea why it says it doesn't exist as I thought all I did was
remove missing PE's from a VG - not remove the actual VG!

Can anyone help me get my data back? Thanks for any advice.

Nick