Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:51:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart bmsi com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] Altering a Physical Volume's UUID on SATA
        hard drives     [solved]
To: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm redhat com>

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, A.Lizard wrote:

> I bit-copied a backup LVM disk using dd from a Knoppix LiveCD (based on
> Debian) and wound up with duplicate volume and uuids, meaning I couldn't
> mount both the main and backup volumes simultaneously at the same time for
> subsequent backups. Of course, vgrename is ineffective to allow
> simultaneous mounting without changing the uuids.

I would suggest copying (bitwise if desired) each LV individually to another
volume group with a different name (and UUID).  This gives you a lot more
flexibility with physical storage for primary vs backup volume groups.
Furthermore, your LV backup procedure can take snapshots of each LV first.

--
              Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>

member The Internet Society (ISOC), The HTML Writers Guild.
"You can't have in a democracy various groups with arms - you have to have the state with a monopoly on power." Condoleeza Rice, US Secretary of State
Personal Website http://www.ecis.com/~alizard
business Website http://www.reptilelabs.com
backup address (if ALL else fails) alizard gmail com
PGP 8.0 key available by request or keyserver. Download PGP from:
http://www.pgpi.org for e-mail privacy.
Disaster prep info: http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/y2k.html
***Looking for INTELLIGENT new technology public policy alternatives?*** http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/technology.html