[linux-lvm] Name change: '/dev/dm-0' -> '/dev/lvm/home'

Ivan Lezhnjov Jr. ivan.lezhnjov.jr at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 18:51:27 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm using LVM2 on my system and I faced an issue that I've set myself to
resolve. The essence of the issue is shown in the following /sbin/lilo -t
command output:

> root at sega:/home/users/ilj# /sbin/lilo -t
> Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
>     Name change: '/dev/dm-0' -> '/dev/lvm/home'
> Warning: Name change: '/dev/dm-1' -> '/dev/lvm/tmp'
> Warning: Name change: '/dev/dm-2' -> '/dev/lvm/usr'
> Warning: Name change: '/dev/dm-3' -> '/dev/lvm/var'
> Added linux-2.6.23 *
> Added 2.6.22
> Added linux-2.6.19.5
> The boot sector and the map file have *NOT* been altered.
> 4 warnings were issued.

I'm pretty novice to device-mapper (hey, i'm a mere user! :) ) and LVM. I use
basic configurations for both. Nothing really special.

These warnings LILO returns weren't always there. They appeared after a recent
system update (I'm running Source Mage). There were no such warnings
previously. I contacted a LILO maintainer on a related issue and he kindly
responded with confirmation that these warnings are not LILO related. As far
as I know, LVM is a set of userspace tools and the actual job is done by
device-mapper. I did try to contact the developers of dev-mappper project but
no single person replied to my message so I'm writing you now, the developers
of LVM.

My goal is to comprehend the origin of the warnings and their actual meaning,
also set things straight so that LILO doesn't return these warnings.

Hopefully, you are the guys that can help me with this :)

Information about what software version numbers I use and configuration
details:

- linux 2.6.23
(not patched but not vanilla either; configured tuned and tweaked with my own
two hands :))

device-mapper related linux configuration options:

> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM=y
> # CONFIG_DM_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_DM_CRYPT=y
> CONFIG_DM_SNAPSHOT=y
> CONFIG_DM_MIRROR=y
> CONFIG_DM_ZERO=y
> CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH=y
> # CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH_EMC is not set
> # CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH_RDAC is not set
> # CONFIG_DM_DELAY is not set
> # CONFIG_DM9102 is not set

- lilo 22.8
- lvm 2.02.28

Physical Volume I use

> root at sega:/home/users/ilj# pvdisplay
>   --- Physical volume ---
>   PV Name               /dev/sda3
>   VG Name               lvm
>   PV Size               69.87 GB / not usable 3.30 MB
>   Allocatable           yes (but full)
>   PE Size (KByte)       4096
>   Total PE              17886
>   Free PE               0
>   Allocated PE          17886
>   PV UUID               eRl10i-TM4M-Z7yk-JOGu-b0o9-IaNa-G1iThc

Virtual Group on the Physical Volume

> root at sega:/home/users/ilj# vgdisplay
>   --- Volume group ---
>   VG Name               lvm
>   System ID
>   Format                lvm2
>   Metadata Areas        1
>   Metadata Sequence No  13
>   VG Access             read/write
>   VG Status             resizable
>   MAX LV                0
>   Cur LV                4
>   Open LV               4
>   Max PV                0
>   Cur PV                1
>   Act PV                1
>   VG Size               69.87 GB
>   PE Size               4.00 MB
>   Total PE              17886
>   Alloc PE / Size       17886 / 69.87 GB
>   Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
>   VG UUID               PdcYgd-CsWE-CVUJ-po1J-tKGp-VdW9-08bx33

Logical Volumes themselves

> root at sega:/home/users/ilj# lvdisplay
>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Name                /dev/lvm/home
>   VG Name                lvm
>   LV UUID                IlQCbp-CY44-E5Fn-VHk2-CGVR-Cgud-aLCtNv
>   LV Write Access        read/write
>   LV Status              available
>   # open                 1
>   LV Size                49.87 GB
>   Current LE             12766
>   Segments               1
>   Allocation             inherit
>   Read ahead sectors     0
>   Block device           253:0
>
>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Name                /dev/lvm/tmp
>   VG Name                lvm
>   LV UUID                s9tqUP-V0il-2jd1-suyS-bLpG-Wy2n-zm4Eeu
>   LV Write Access        read/write
>   LV Status              available
>   # open                 1
>   LV Size                2.00 GB
>   Current LE             512
>   Segments               1
>   Allocation             inherit
>   Read ahead sectors     0
>   Block device           253:1
>
>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Name                /dev/lvm/usr
>   VG Name                lvm
>   LV UUID                A8PDF8-8o8X-hX2H-WiYq-nBTF-Cbtd-DpVwxq
>   LV Write Access        read/write
>   LV Status              available
>   # open                 1
>   LV Size                14.00 GB
>   Current LE             3584
>   Segments               1
>   Allocation             inherit
>   Read ahead sectors     0
>   Block device           253:2
>
>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Name                /dev/lvm/var
>   VG Name                lvm
>   LV UUID                7hagoJ-k3t7-yyZ1-d5Tc-C106-KOQK-3K3vpV
>   LV Write Access        read/write
>   LV Status              available
>   # open                 1
>   LV Size                4.00 GB
>   Current LE             1024
>   Segments               1
>   Allocation             inherit
>   Read ahead sectors     0
>   Block device           253:3

- device-mapper-1.02.22
> root at sega:/home/users/ilj# dmsetup --version
> Library version:   1.02.22 (2007-08-21)
> Driver version:    4.11.0

This is it. If I missed anything, please, let me know.
I'm really looking forward to getting answers to my questions. I'm more than
just curious now since I've spent quite a period of time already trying to
figure out the answers on my own, bothered random people in real life and on
the Internet in forums, IRC and now in mailing-lists :)

I really want to know what these warnings are all about :)

--
Ivan Lezhnjov Jr.

Europe, Ukraine, Simferopol. Local Time:
Sun Dec  9 20:48:30 EET 2007

Source Mage GNU/Linux 0.9.6.3, linux-2.6.23 #1
Disassemble To Assemble Something Pure