[linux-lvm] won't dual boot: 2 disks and LVM

Georges Giralt georges.giralt at free.fr
Wed Dec 19 10:20:45 UTC 2007

Selon cs <cs at networkingnewsletter.org.uk>:

> On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 16:52 -0500, pham_cuong at emc.com wrote:
> > There is a difference between changing the boot order from the BIOS vs.
> > [physically] removing the master HD.  Here's why:
...............Usefull stuff snipped............
> > Regards,
> >
> > Confucius
>
> useful stuff but I'm still unsure why if I change the order in BIOS then
> (when I had it working a bit) it would start the XP boot sequence (and
> not the GRUB from master) but then hang indefinitely...
Hi !
Let me chime in here as I've faced the same problem you've got.
My PC has a lot of disks, some of them for Fedora/LVM/mirror install, some of
them for Mandriva/Ubuntu install and one with Windows XP.
The problem I encountered came from ...guess what ? Windows XP installation.
Here is a _short_ HowTo.
1) open you PC and let ONLY one disk into it as MASTER (if IDE) and install
Windows/XP.
2) Double check that the Windows/XP boot section specify only this disk.
3) Test that you can boot Windows/XP in this particular configuration.
4) Return PC hardware as it should be.
5) double check that you Linux/LVM config boots fine.
6) modify the Grub.conf file to have Windows/XP believe it is on first disk/only
disk using map() command.
7) double check Windows/XP boots fine.
If you do a Windows/XP install with another configuration than above, you will
have some references to this configuration in the registry/boot config...etc and
won't be able to run  XP¨again. Also be sure to wipe clean the Windows/XP disk
before installation, otherwise, you know what....
This is just "been there, done that" .... kind of PITA I had.
And, of course, YMMV.