[linux-lvm] Re: Extending the Root Volume with LVM

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Tue Feb 20 17:36:22 UTC 2007

Chris Osicki wrote:
> Clark
>
> Have a look at ext2online. It comes with RHEL 4.

I'll admit I was unaware of that command. I notice that the third
sentence of the man page says "It is only possible to enlarge a mounted
filesystem". While Sean was indeed increasing the size, I was trying to
reduce it.

<just a bit of venting, so feel free to ignore>
A big pain with Linux, in my view, is that even after using it for six
years, I am unaware of the majority of features available in it. I did
what I thought was reasonable; I read the HOWTO (the one mentioned down
there at the bottom of this email ;). No mention of ext2online there,
nor any mention of the steps I used to resize a root filesystem; only
the steps for a filesystem that can be easily unmounted while the OS is
running.

And in order to figure out the steps to resize the root filesystem, I
read through a lot of man pages and web pages and howtos, and nowhere do
I recall coming across ext2online (though I'll admit that was awhile
ago). By the way, I suggested in my posting that the steps be added to
the howto (the subject line was "Howto suggestion..."). And I have seen
other postings here with suggestions about the howto.