[linux-lvm] LVM - History

Georges Giralt georges.giralt at free.fr
Wed Feb 21 17:26:11 UTC 2007

Greg Freemyer a écrit :
> On 2/20/07, k <shikam at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> History of LVM
>>
>> I am researching about LVM, and looking for historical
>> data, such as; how did it get started, who was
>> involved, information about the functionality of the
>> first release ( Was it supporting raid, Size
>> restrictions, etc…), and any other historical data.
>>
>> I appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Shi kam
>
> A key point was 3 years ago when Redhat bought Sistina.
>
> See http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol_90/Sistina/Sistina.htm.
>
> Also see http://lwn.net/2000/0224/kernel.php3 for when it first got
> into the vanilla kernel.
>
> Greg
Hi !
If you plan to learn who invented LVM, you have to know that IMHO IBM
was the first company to include LVM into it's Unix flavor called Aix.
Later, HP bought a software license and implemented it into HP-UX with
modification. The HP version is quite similar as the one we have in Linux.
Also, I think Veritas software has/had a comercial LVM version to fit
the Veritas journaled file system. I don't know if this was devised from
IBM research or a new implementation.
Sistina software inplemented LVM into the Linux Kernel by making
something looking like HP flavor of LVM. But due to PC hardware
anlimitations, the LVM on Linux still lacks the ability to boot from an
LVM root, lacks mirroring (well, true mirroring....) and things like that...
I'm not sure about the exact status of Linux LVM on other platforms than
PC hardware...
Of course, I'm not an historian, and I do not pretend to know eery Unix
flavor on the planet (even if I've put my hands on some really old/or
arcane) so you'd better check with the cited companies to correct me if
I'm wrong...
Regards
--
Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
S'il vous plaît, aidez nous à conserver nos ressources,