Re: [linux-lvm] moving logical volumes to another system *remotely* - how?

paddy panici net schrieb:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 12:48:07PM +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
I have a server which stores several LVM-2 logical volumes.

As this system is pretty loaded, I'd like to move some of the logical
volumes to another machine. It has to be done remotely, so I can't do it
as described in the LVM HOWTO (where one basically adds/replaces disks in one machine).

My common sense tells me that I should:

1. Unmount/not use the logical volumes on the source server
2. Make volumes of the same size on the target server
3. Copy it somehow over network

I'm not sure of 2 (make volumes of exactly the same size)

check your PE size, otherwise does what it says on the tin.

Hmm, how? I just want to move some (not all) logical volumes.

I guess fdisk is a good idea?

# fdisk -l /dev/LVM2/ocsi1

Disk /dev/LVM2/ocsi1: 3221 MB, 3221225472 bytes

3221225472 / 1024 = 3145728

lvcreate -L3145728k -n ocsi1 LVM2

Hmm, hopefully, it's the right size?

and 3 (how to copy it all over network, if possible, using SSH only).

netcat and dd over forwarded port

Thanks for the idea.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski