[linux-lvm] recovering volumes

Joel Rees joel_rees at sannet.ne.jp
Thu Jan 4 04:30:29 UTC 2007

For the record:

I finally had a full day or two that I could sit quietly and think. I
noticed on /. last night that some people were mentioning Christophe
Grenier's photorec as a tool for digging out image files, so I
downloaded it last night and it did find all my files in the lost
physical partition that I had attached to the botched volume group.
All 70,000+ of them, scattered across 170 or so directories. Had to
sacrifice a partition I'd been playing with freebsd in to hold the 11G
+ of recovered files.

The photorec download comes with testdisk, which can find blown
partitions, so I played with that as well. It saw the missing LVM
partitions. I'm not sure if writing the results on the disk with the
main volume group (/hda2) helped or not, but finding them was re-
assuring, and this morning I was able to recover the volumes
completely. (Yeah, psychological, I know.)

The way I did it was to sacrifice the remains of an old install of
FC4 in another partition on /hda to install a second (very minimal)
FC5 in a single base partition, no LVM. Then I booted back up in FC6
on /hde2 to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf in the boot partition in /hda1
so that grub would see the new install of FC5. Then I booted the new
FC5 and started reading the man for lvm again.

pvdisplay, I think it was, saw the missing physical volumes.

So I mounted the old boot partition under /oldfc5 and cd-ed into /
oldfc5/etc/lvm and looked at the stuff in backup and archive. The
uuids in the most recent archive of the lost fc5 volume group and the
backup were the same.

So I did a pvcreate --restorefile backup/fc5 --uuid <long uuid> /dev/
hde3 to re-create the physical volume on the other disk. It
complained that it didn't find the physical volume, but then it said
volume created.

So I continued with a pvcreate --restorefile backup/fc5 --uuid <other
long uuid> /dev/hda2 and this time it created the physical volume
with no complaints.

So I did the vgcfgrestore --file backup/fc5 (I think it was, too bad
I didn't save the shell.) and that gave me a message that indicated
success. So I looked at the file system with the graphical lvm
manager widget and it now showed all my lost logical partitions.

I had to get rid of some cruft in /etc/fstab for the old fc5, but it
boots, and all my files are there.

I'm probably leaving out a step or two, I really should have saved
the text of the terminal session so I would have a record.

I haven't tried booting FC6 to see if it survived the process.