[linux-lvm] Persistent minor number problem in lvm2

Rainer Krienke krienke at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Jan 4 14:24:47 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am running fileservers with SUSEs SLES10 using lvm2-2.02.02.

I noticed that minor numbers are not persitent no matter if I call lvcreate
with "-M y" or without it. Whenever a logical volume is deleted and the
machine is rebooted all minor numbers above the one of the lv that I deleted
deleted are reassigned. This has dramatic consequences if the system servers
as a NFS server as I had to learn. Clients (not rebooted) suddenly acces a
NFS share say server:/export/A  but the contents of A are what
server:/export/B really contains because the minor number of A and B changed
on the server. So the mount succeeds but you get another NFS share than you
mounted. Really ugly.

I found this discussion:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-lvm-maintainers/2006-July/000690.html

So I guess that this bug should have been fixed. Can anyone tell me if this is
true, so that minor numbers are really persisent and what version of lvm I
need to get this persistence to work correctly?

Thanks
Rainer Krienke
Rainer Krienke, Universitaet Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, Raum A022
Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49 261287 -1312, Fax: -1001312
Mail: krienke at uni-koblenz.de, Web: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Get my public PGP key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html