[linux-lvm] vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data of volume group

`VL vl.homutov at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 18:44:27 UTC 2007

Thanks for everyone!

I`ve got some ideas that helped me to get data back. Here is summary, that
someone maybe find usefull:

volume group lost one of it`s physical volumes and refused to mount.
So, i had to create new physical volume with same metadata (UUID and others)
as old one,
Metadata was saved in backup.The only problem i had that new harddisk i had
was not hdh (as one those
at volume group was), but hdb. Thus, vgcfgrestore refused to work, telling
that there are no such drive
in volume group. So, i edited manually binary backup file of lvm and changed
just one letter in the name of disk.
it worked. Also,i had to set same UID for new physical volume as it was for
old drive. I achieved this by
installing lvm2 tools and using pvcreate from there. After all those
manipulations, vgscan reported about
inactive volume group, which was successfully activated.

P.S. The most funny part of all this story is that there was 23 megs of data
on that group. Person, who
asked me to help with maintance, remembered that there was some sort of
'cleaning' on that server. =)

P.P.S. Thanks for your job, LVM people! LVM rules.