[linux-lvm] Clone disk with LVM

Ryan Nelson ryan at email.arc.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 2 21:51:52 UTC 2007

I had a Linux system using LVM for / (root) that was going away for
field tests and the users of the system wanted to have a couple hot
spares of the drives.  Using dd I replicated the disk to two diffrent
drives.  One drive stored away and the other drive was going to be in
the system being rsync'd nightly so that it would have the freshest data
on it.

Because of the dd the LVM had the same names and UUIDs for the vg and
lg.  I was able to change the names however I wasn't successful in
change the UUIDs.  It didn't even look like there was an option to
change the UUIDs for the lv.

What would have been the correct way to achieve a setup like this with
LVM?  I would assume a mirroring of some sort although I don't know what
would be involved for the user if the drive did die and they needed to
use the second drive.

Thanks
Ryan