[linux-lvm] libLVM progress?

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Thu Jul 26 20:08:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 04:00:57PM -0400, Ken Stein wrote:
> * use a premade LVM interface library.

> The last idea came to me when I realized almost everything has a library
> these days, so I looked into it, but all I can find is people saying the
> current/old liblvm should not be used for new development or as a platform
> to base any new liblvm work off of, and people suggesting that a liblvm
> project be started to work with the new LVM systems and export a stable,
> logical public API.  However, I can't find any mention of actual work
> being done on this - if I'm just missing it, a link would be great.
> Otherwise, is there any work I can base a modern liblvm implementation off
> of, or anyone I can talk to about joining a liblvm project to help out?

Work has begun.

The first step is to achieve proper separation of the 'tools' and 'lib'
directories - so the 'tools' directory will only use the new library
interface.   If you watch the lvm-devel list you'll see a number of
patches going into the tree and the new interface evolving.  Feel free
to help out on the lvm-devel mailing list.

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com