[linux-lvm] Does pv failure effect whole vg?

Richard van den Berg richard at vdberg.org
Thu Jun 21 07:43:30 UTC 2007

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> If the system truly won't boot with a failed disk, that kind of adds another
> reason why current LVM mirroring support is useless.
>
> If you build your VG on raid (md devices or hardware), you solve
> the problem for now.

That is what I am doing. The test I did was:

lv00 and lv01 are part of vg00 which consists of /dev/md2 and /dev/sdb3

When booting from cdrom (systemrescuecd) md2 failed to come up, so vg00
did not come up. I then manually brought up md2 and split the vg, and
added sda3 in the mix:

lv00 is part of vg00 which consists of /dev/md2
lv01 is part of vg01 which consists of /dev/sdb3 and /dev/sda3

At the next reboot from cdrom vg01 came up fine, vg00 did not.

At least after the split if sda or sdb fails, md2 should still come up
and so should vg00, but I will loose vg01.  Keeping all lvs in vg00
would have given me an unbootable system after 1 disk failure.

Sincerely,

Richard van den Berg

PS: I still think it sucks that I could not split the vg online.