[linux-lvm] Serious problem and I don't know where to turn.

I screwed up, big time.  If it was just one or two mistakes than I think I could of solved it, but now I am not sure how to fix this.

Some back ground:  I recently picked up a DSN-3200 cheap off ebay.  Its basically an Iscsi SAN system that holds 15 drives.  VERY simplistic but hey, does RAID5.  I added 5 drives and set up a simple LVM2 group off the first partition of the array.  (/dev/sdb1)  Followed the directions and made a logical drive, formatted to ext3 and everything was great.

A few months latter Fry’s was having a 500gb drive sale, so I picked up 5 more drives and expanded the array (The DSN only tapes on extra drives to the existing one, rather than expanding the array a drive at a time.  Think JOBD with RAID5 arrays)  I now had an extra, or exact 1.7tb of space.  I create another LVM2 partition (/dev/sdb2), expand both the VG and LV.

This would have been all fine, except I ran into an issue with e2fsck.  To expand the ext3, it wanted me to run e2fsck –f on the volume.  The problem was that eveytime I run the command, it would seem to lock up the iscsi driver.  I tried looking for any kind of hints on why this was with no avail.  After hours of working on it, I threw up my hands.  I figured if I can never e2fsck the volume, it might be bad for me to extend it in the first place.  At the time, I didn’t have a way to back up the array, so I did something stupid.

I deleted the /dev/sdb2 partition.  Mind you, this was after a few days and the line of thinking was that I would delete it, create an ext3 partition, and copy the data over.  Of course it gave a lot of errors in LVM2 afterwards.  I could still mount the volume so I thought I was ok.

A day or two passes and I wake up to find the server has locked up.  I do a hard reboot to find the little 160gig IDE drive in it has failed.  Doesn’t spin up on power.  There goes my backup metadata.

Sigh.  I would have been better off with an ext3 partition to begin with, but I liked the flexibility that LVM2 offered.  To be honest I don’t remember a lot of the commands I have used either.  Any help would be appreciated.  It even looks like I lost the logical drive.  But I know the data is still there, is there any kind of utility I can just “get” the ext3 partition out of there?

[root server archive]# vgscan

  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...

  Found duplicate PV 5Up3QCLOFKXTDA1OHoWUfMrYne4SdXmb: using /dev/sdb1 not /dev/sda1

  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2

  Found volume group "ANIME" using metadata type lvm2

[root server archive]# ls

VolGroup00_00000.vg

[root server archive]# vgchange -a y

  Found duplicate PV 5Up3QCLOFKXTDA1OHoWUfMrYne4SdXmb: using /dev/sdb1 not /dev/sda1

  2 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active

  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "ANIME" now active

[root server archive]# pvscan

  Found duplicate PV 5Up3QCLOFKXTDA1OHoWUfMrYne4SdXmb: using /dev/sdb1 not /dev/sda1

  PV /dev/hda2   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [148.94 GB / 0    free]

  PV /dev/sdb1   VG ANIME        lvm2 [1.82 TB / 1.82 TB free]

  PV /dev/sda2                   lvm2 [1.82 TB]

  Total: 3 [3.78 TB] / in use: 2 [1.96 TB] / in no VG: 1 [1.82 TB]

[root server archive]# lvscan

  Found duplicate PV 5Up3QCLOFKXTDA1OHoWUfMrYne4SdXmb: using /dev/sdb1 not /dev/sda1

  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00' [147.00 GB] inherit

  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01' [1.94 GB] inherit

[root server archive]#