[linux-lvm] Inactive volume at boot time

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri May 18 11:17:23 UTC 2007

I've just had a system which had a problem mounting a logical volume.
SuSE 9.3 and

I log in and lvscan says the volume is inactive.
vgchange -a y and it is active, and mounts first time.
In the boot log:

Scanning for LVM volume groups...
   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
   No volume groups found
Activating LVM volume groups...
   No volume groups found

Is there any other way of checking why it couldn't find the volumes at
boot time? The two physical drives are seen OK just before the LVM start.
I guess another reboot will be the acid test, just wondering if there is
another diagnostic I can run.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer