[linux-lvm] difference in space used

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Sat May 19 01:00:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 03:04:35PM -0700, Greg Hanson wrote:
> [root at newbox1 ~]# du /log/
> 16      /log/lost+found
> 23696   /log/httpd
> 23716   /log/
>
> Any ideas as to what could be going on?

An unlinked file isn't actually deleted until all file handles to it
are closed.  Since this is your log partition, you probably have
broken log rotation script.  I bet its moving the files to a new name,
but the logging process isn't closing and reopening the logfile.

These files that are unlinked but still have open handles to them
continue to consume their usual amount of disk space.  FWIW, I have
seen this issue particularly noticably with MySQL when the query log
is enabled, but that's a wild guess...

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us