Re: [linux-lvm] difference in space used

Ross Vandegrift wrote:
On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 03:04:35PM -0700, Greg Hanson wrote:

[root newbox1 ~]# du /log/
16      /log/lost+found
23696   /log/httpd
23716   /log/

Any ideas as to what could be going on?

An unlinked file isn't actually deleted until all file handles to it
are closed.  Since this is your log partition, you probably have
broken log rotation script.  I bet its moving the files to a new name,
but the logging process isn't closing and reopening the logfile.

These files that are unlinked but still have open handles to them
continue to consume their usual amount of disk space.  FWIW, I have
seen this issue particularly noticably with MySQL when the query log
is enabled, but that's a wild guess...

Thanks for the input Ross.  You are exactly on target.  I found another post on another forum with regards to this,

http://lists.debian.org/debian-isp/2002/05/msg00046.html

and started examining the log rotate scripts. There was an error in the path in the HUP line to restart apache, and there were many deleted log files laying around.

this command
lsof | grep deleted

confirmed that there were several occurrences of error and access logs hanging in there.
Did an apachectl stop and start and things went back to normal.

Thank you so much for the response!

Greg

--
Greg Hanson