[linux-lvm] Maximum Physical volume size?

Thomas, Charles Norton thomascn at ornl.gov
Tue Oct 16 13:16:55 UTC 2007

I seem to be exceeding a limit somewhere when I attempt to install a RedHat Linux Client release 5 O/S on a 2.8 Terabyte Physical disk.  The install goes without error and creates a Volume group and logical volumes for the O/S partitions and the balance of the space as a 2.6 Terabyte logical volume. When I reviewed the "partitioning" I attempted to reduce the size of the of the 2.6 Terabyte Logical Volume a little so I could add a little to the root Logical Volume. It refused to change the size and claimed that the reduced size exceeded the maximum size limit of 2 Terabytes. I decided to press on without making the change. When I booted up the new O/S the VolumeGroup00 was discovered but device-mapper reported:

"device-mapper: table 253:0: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed"
"device-mapper: table 253:1: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed"

Then it crashed with a "nash received SIGSEGV"

What is the Maximum Physical Volume size on a "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5"?
Is the  Maximum Physical Volume size different in the 32 it  Advanced server version?