[linux-lvm] LVM snapshot limits

Shaun Kruger skruger at backcountry.com
Thu Oct 25 22:18:44 UTC 2007

Thanks for the information.  I'll post that to my redhat support ticket and
see if they can help me with a more immediate fix.

> Anyway, multiple snapshots from the same origin can cause considerable
> performance decrease (there is no shared area for snapshots in current
> implementation, so write to origin will cause new writes to every snapshot
> copy-on-write area).

This copy on write issue had already occoured to us.  We were going to roll
out with the concept of a persistent or nonpersistent database instance.  The
nonpersistent ones were going to be removed before refreshing the data on the
main database source.  There is another script that recreates all the
developer instances after the update is complete.

Shaun