[linux-lvm] Resizing an ext3 file system after extending a logical volume group

Richard Kollmar rkollmar at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 18 20:58:23 UTC 2007

Dear All:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I can't find a way to
search the list archives:

How do you safely resize an ext3 filesystem after extending a logical
volume?

I am adding a new hard drive to increase the size of my logical
volume "home1" in logical volume group "home" with LVM2 under Ubuntu
6.10.1 LTS.  The instructions in the LVM Howto are pretty
straightforward; the only part that spooks me is the resizing of the
ext3 filesystem.  This is what I have done so far:

	(installed new hardware & partitioned with fdisk; shows up as /dev/
sdb1)
	(backed up the existing logical volume in case something bad happens)

	# pvcreate /dev/sdb1
		  Physical volume "/dev/sdb1" successfully created

	# vgextend home /dev/sdb1
		  Volume group "home" successfully extended

	# lvextend -l 357700 /dev/home/home1
		  Extending logical volume home1 to 1.36 TB
		  Logical volume home1 successfully resized

 From what I googled, the next steps are a bit more involved for LVM2
than the Howto lets on.  Does the following look o.k. to the experts:

	' use a root login, not su or sudo, because /home will be unmounted

	# umount /dev/home/home1	' the next steps should be done off-line

	# e2fsck -C 0 -v dev/home/home1		' make sure the file system is ok

	# tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/home/home1	'disable journaling on the
logical volume

	# resize2fs /dev/home/home1		'do the resizing

	# e2fsck -C 0 -v dev/home/home1		' make sure the file system is
still ok

	# tune2fs -O has_journal /dev/home/home1		're-enable journaling

	# e2fsck -C 0 -v dev/home/home1		' yes, I am a first-timer and
somewhat paranoid

	# mount /dev/home/home1 /home	' back on-line

Thanks in advance for any help,

microscope