[linux-lvm] Snapshot question...

Tue Apr 22 16:28:10 UTC 2008

On 4/22/2008, Stephane Chazelas (stephane.chazelas at emerson.com) wrote:
> When you read from your original volume (that has been changed
> to be of "snapshot-origin" type), you actually read from the
> "real" volume (the original version of the original volume), but
> when you write to it, the system makes sure that unless it has
> been done already, the block you're modifying are being copied
> first from the "real" volume to COW volume before being modified
> in the "real" volume.
>
> So to sum up, the "snapshot" volume you are creating is a
> "virtual" volume that is a front end to both the snapshot
> storage volume ("COW") and the original real volume ("real").
>
> Hope this clarifies a bit,

Thanks for trying, but no, that just made my head hurt...

;)

Seriously... if the snapshot volume that I'm creating is a front end to
BOTH, when I back it up, I guess LVM just 'knows' that I mean to backup
the 'original'?

Is there a graphical outline of how this works? I seem to do better with
visualizations...

--

Best regards,

Charles