[linux-lvm] Simple scripts for use in automated backups?

Hello again,

Sorry to flood the list with newbie questions... if there is a better list for things like this, please let me know...

I'm still fairly new to linux (coming from windows world), and enjoying the freedom, but as far as scripting goes - well, to call me a noob is being kind...

Would any kind souls be willing to share some basic scripts that can be used to activate a snapshot, then 'do x' (this would be my rsnapshot command), then release the snapshot? The part that I don't have a clue about is how to check for errors - ie, did the snapshot activate ok? Did it release ok?...

Thanks for any responses, including decent how-to's, etc...

--

Best regards,

Charles