[linux-lvm] Snapshot question... [scaling problem]

Larry Dickson ldickson at cuttedge.com
Thu Apr 24 14:21:18 UTC 2008

There is also a subtle point here. If one of the older snapshots already
"saw" a change to that block, which came on before a newer snapshot was
started, then you will write to the new COW and not to the old. But as Dan
says, that can still leave a lot of sloshing around... especially with data
of the "hit each one rarely" type.

There's an almost trivial variant on this, where you keep the
(read-only) snapshots in a time-ordered sequence, and freeze the last
snapshot COW at the same moment as you start the next snapshot. Then writing
only ever hits the new snapshot COW, and reading from any older snapshot
(virtual) volume involves figuring out which is the first after that to hold
the block, but still involves reading only one block. I wonder why LVM does
not do this. Perhaps Zumastor does? Or somebody else?

Larry Dickson