Re: [linux-lvm] How to move /usr from LVM back to non-LVM?

Charles Marcus a écrit :
Hello,

Ok, resizing my /var partition was without incident, so thanks much to the replies I got for reassurance...

Now, I have another thing I'd like to do, but it is only incidentally LVM related...

When this system was first set up - not by me - they put /home, /usr and /var on LVM partitions.

I'm fine with /home and /var, but I'd like to put /usr back as part of the / partition...

Has anyone ever done something like this before?

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

1. Boot off of livecd

2. mount /

3. Mount /usr

4. cp /usr to /usr2 on /

5. umount /usr

6. mv /usr2 /usr

?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions/how-to pointers...

Hi !
As file rights and protection are important on /usr,
Consider replacing #4 with :
(cd /usr && tar cf - . ) | (cd /usr2 && tar xpf -) as root
or if you prefer
still as root
dump 0uaf - /usr | (cd /usr2 && restore -rf -)
In this second way, you do not need to mount the original /usr (but in this case you've to give the device file to dump instead of /usr) But some people will question the reason you will move from LVM to plain filesystem/partitioning....
--
Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
S'il vous plaît, aidez nous à conserver nos ressources,